Use your Python / C++ skills to empower blind and vision-impaired people globally through technology.
- A great opportunity for a Junior to Mid-level software engineer to gain experience through diverse aspects of a software development organisation
- Global, life-changing impact – Open-source development focused on what is best for users
- Remote first – Flexible working conditions – 100% work from home – can be located anywhere within Australia
- Attractive Non-profit Organisation salary packaging benefits available. Laptop Supplied.
NV Access is a global non-profit organisation, based in Australia, dedicated to the ideal that access to technology should not incur an extra cost for blind and vision impaired users. The purpose of NV Access is to lower the economic and social barriers associated with accessing Information Technology for people who are blind or vision impaired. NV Access develops the free, open source NVDA screen reading software for Microsoft Windows, enabling more than 250,000 blind and vision-impaired people across the globe to access computers. We are looking to appoint a full-time software engineer to join our small team.
- NVDA desktop application
- Python, C++, win32, COM, UI Automation, SCons, MSVC
- Server Infrastructure
- Ubuntu server, Nginx, WSGI, Flask, MySQL, PostgreSQL, WordPress, Appveyor (for CI/CD), GitHub
Daily activities in this role will include:
- Development of the NVDA screen reader using Python / C++
- Empower the community via our Continuous Integration infrastructure (currently Appveyor)
- Improvements to the website / certification system / endpoint for NVDA automatic updates
- Collaborate with external tech companies such as Mozilla, Microsoft, Google, and others
- Engagement with our open-source community (reviewing code, triage of issues, requirements gathering)
- Innovate on automated testing processes and perform quality assurance
- Assisting with research and development of future projects
- Writing end user and technical documentation
- Planning for and assisting in disaster recovery
Your key attributes will be:
- Junior to Mid-level Professional Software Development experience
- An interest in accessibility
- A strong understanding of Python and C++
- A solid understanding of object-oriented design
- Experience developing Windows applications
- Good communication skills, including with people from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds
- An understanding of software project management, including triage and planning
Highly desirable attributes are:
- Experience in accessibility development
- Experience working on large code bases
- Experience with our technology stack
- A university degree in information technology (or similar)
- Past contributions to open source projects
- Experience with Linux server administration (specifically Ubuntu)
How to Apply:To apply for this position, you must be classed as “An Australian Resident for tax purposes” and be prepared to work full time from home with occasional travel for face-to-face meetings.
Note: All applications must include a resumé as well as a cover letter highlighting your relevant experience, and how it meets the key attributes for the role described above. Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications from members of the blind and vision impaired software development community are encouraged.