Apply your skills in server infrastructure development, system administration, web development and test automation, to empower blind and vision-impaired people globally through technology.
- A great opportunity to gain experience through diverse aspects of a software development organisation
- Open source development – global, life-changing impact
- Remote first – Flexible working conditions – work from home
NV Access is a global non-profit organisation, based in Australia, dedicated to the ideal that access to technology should not incur an extra cost for blind and vision impaired users. The purpose of NV Access is to lower the economic and social barriers associated with accessing Information Technology for people who are blind or vision impaired. NV Access develops the free, open source NVDA screen reading software for Microsoft Windows, enabling more than 100,000 blind and vision-impaired people across the globe to access computers.
We are looking to appoint a full-time Dev Ops Engineer to join our small team. Your work will focus on maintaining and improving our public-facing server infrastructure (including website and other back-end services), and in-house development tools.
Technologies we currently use:
- Ubuntu server
- WordPress / PHP
- Mysql, Postgresql
- WSGI / Python, Flask
- Github, Appveyor
Daily activities in this role will include:
- General server administration (Ubuntu, Nginx) including OS updates, addressing performance and security issues.
- Maintenance of Continuous Integration infrastructure (currently Appveyor).
- Increasing our platform coverage for testing NVDA on various versions and SKUs of Windows
- Designing and maintaining tools for processing and viewing usage statistics stored in postgresql.
- Maintaining the online NVDA Certification Exam system; An interactive web app implemented with Python, Flask and Mysql.
- Maintaining / improving the NVDA translation system (Currently Subversion, Assembler and custom shell scripts).
- Maintaining telephone infrastructure, currently Freeswitch.
- Planning for and assisting in disaster recovery, including backup and restoration of data, and creation and updating of infrastructure documentation.
Your key attributes will be:
- Thorough previous experience with Python or similar languages
- Past experience maintaining public-facing server infrastructure
- Experience with various Virtual Machine packages and services
- Experience with Linux server administration (specifically Ubuntu).
- An understanding of testing processes and bug isolation
- An interest in testing and community engagement
- Ability to pick up new concepts and technologies quickly and follow agile development methodologies
- Good communication skills
- Self motivated
- Solid grasp of issue tracking and version control
- Able to communicate with people in different time zones and from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds
- An understanding of software project management, including triage and planning
Highly desirable attributes are:
- An understanding of accessibility
- A university degree in information technology (or similar)
- Past contribution to open source projects
- Experience implementing automated test frameworks
- Experience in web development
How To Apply:
To apply for this position, you must be classed as “An Australian Resident for tax purposes”, but it is not necessary to be physically located in Australia as you will be working full time from your own home.
Note: All applications must include a resumé as well as a cover letter highlighting your relevant experience, and how it meets the key attributes for the role described above.
Email your application to email@example.com.
We are happy to answer any questions you have about this role, please feel free to get in contact by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.